Friday, October 22, 2010

hexagons and hot pads... :o)

I've been working on the little 1/2" pink hexagons in the evenings, and finally have them all put together! This measures a little over 15" on each side. (Click on it for a larger picture!)
Here is a picture of it with a yard-stick over it, to show you the over-all size... (And Jimmy's toes!) There are approximately 815 little 1/2" hexagons in here. So there are about 60+ pieces left over, but that's not enough to make another round.

Now to take out all the little papers. Any advice there? I don't know if I should take out a bit and then starch it, so the seams on the back stay down nice...?! Any advice would be great! I've never made anything with this many hexagons before!
The other project I've been working on is these hot pads for Christmas gifts... They're the kind that you stick your thumb in the little pocket on the "skinny end" and your fingers in the other pocket. They have insulbright in them to make them insulated... This picture shows each side...
And this picture shows them hanging on the fridge. (Our brand new refrigerator, by the way! See how nice and shiny it is!) There are magnets in the "thumb end" so you can hang them on the refrigerator or stove... :o)

I may have a Christmas give away in November, with a set of these included... :o)

16 comments:

Barb said...

The hot pads are the best....the hexies are awesome!

Piece by Piece said...

That's a lot of hexie's Angela, what are you going to do with it after you have taken the papers out? Love the hod pads.
Patricia

Hazel said...

Oh my goodness are you crazy LOL you have to be a very patient person to do them that small ( can you tell I'm not one of those people )Good for you ,I'm jealous .
What interesting hot pads I have never seen these before is there a pattern .

Crunchy Diva said...

i love your hexagons. love the colours too that bright pink is one of my favorite colours. i'm working on making hexies myself. i don't have near as many as you do, but i'm working on it.

Béa said...

I love the hexagons, what a work !!!
And I never see Hot pad with magnet, great idea.

trish said...

Good Morning Angela.
What a beautiful hexagons! I love how big it is, and those little toes are too cute!! :o) I am super new at hexagons and you have inspired me to go about mine in a different way. :o) Mine are hodge podge - ish and I really like how yours are organized and all the same adorable fabric line!!
Your hot pads are such a nice idea!! Isn't it fun to create for Christmas. A part of your heart goes into each thing. :o)
Have a great weekend.
Sincerely - Trish

Unknown said...

That's a lot of hexagons! It is so pretty in pink. Love it!

marlene@ByTheSeam said...

Wow Angela you have been busy. Your hexagon hot pad is amazing. That was a lot of work. I would take the papers out of them and use some starch on them like you thought. I really have no idea but it seems like that would be a good thing to do. I like your mitt hot pads too. I have not seen those before and such nice fabric too.

Laurie said...

Wow, that hexagon quilt -- you cut those all? OM goodness. You are amazing!

Vivian said...

Your pink hexies took my breath away. That's a totally impressive project, and you should be so proud of yourself to have put so many together. I'm no help with taking out the papers. Mine are all still in mine.

And thanks for the Jimmy toes -- I haven't seen him lately and I missed him!

Seams to Sew and Quilt said...

The pink hezies are adorable.. but I agree with Hazel, are you crazy... nice work, love the pot holder,I have never seen those kind before.

Annette said...

Your hexagons are amazing!! The little hotpads are darling and I love how you put a magnet inside. Super idea!

Shutterbugs said...

Love the hot pads! And those hexagons....wow!

Vesuviusmama said...

OK, seeing all those tiny hexies together makes me question your sanity...

Love those hot pads! Did you follow a pattern? If so, is it online somewhere?

Raewyn said...

Hi Angela, I have just discovered your blog and it looks very interesting!! I love your hexies - 1/2 inch ones is pretty challenging! Well done:-) Have you glued or tacked the papers in? On my 1 inch ones I just remove the papers and finger press the raw edges down.... I, too, was wondering about a pattern for the hotpads - what a brilliant idea!!

Donna said...

Oh my gosh - 1/2" hexagons! I'm making a hexagon scrap quilt now using 2" hexagons and can't imagine going much smaller. Beautiful work!